You just moved into that house, and it is a lot less than pleasing to the eye. The gaunt walls are staring back harshly, the floor feels a little too bare and the blinds a little too clinical. It probably feels depressing even and cold; it is time to spruce things up and make your space homey again. With a few pointers, your space will acquire warmth, a splash of color and display a touch of your style. You can do this even if you do not own it.
Here are tips to liven up your house:
- Introduce a little color – depending on your rental agreement with your landlord, you can choose to paint but as long as you paint back the original shade when you decide to leave. In case you do not want to invest heavily, you can choose to paint just one wall or a door or just its frames in a different color palate.
- Accessorize – one of the ways to acquire that personal touch is through accessorizing your space. Accessories include throws, pillows and accents that you like which reflect your style. The throws and pillows should match your color scheme and style.
- Wallpaper – wallpaper is stylish but inconvenient to remove especially if you are not planning to stay in that rental house for long. If you love the patterned look, I would suggest removable wallpaper. It is easier to easier to remove whenever you decide to move out and gives your space accents of personality.
- Change the vertical blinds – vertical blinds give your space a clinical feel that you should get rid of. Take those blinds down but do not ditch them since you will need you deposit back when moving out. Instead, hand up long beautiful curtain drapes that complement your furniture and choice of style.
- Hang up artwork and photos – hanging up art and photos may sound a little cliché but they do make a whole lot of difference in giving your space character. Using a picture ledge, hang up a few framed photos in an attractive arrangement as well as that piece of stunning artwork.
- Throw in some rugs – Soft furnishings bring about warmth and introduce a character to space. Rugs are an easy decorating tool; they introduce texture, color and a touch of coziness.
- Lighting a room sets the tone in a rental. This technique is overlooked yet it creates a different illusion and gives a room a different feel. Put in a beautiful chandelier; get creative with table and floor lamps.
- Use plants to liven up your space. You do not need a yard since you have the option of potted plants. Create your theme with a few potted plants and experience the joy of personal décor.
With these pointers, you are bound to transform that unattractive rental space into a beautiful home. Don’t shy away from bold colors. Turn that empty room into your personal space.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.